Does my child need speech pathology support?

Each child is an individual and will develop at their own pace. However, there are some ‘red flags’ that could signal communication difficulties. You should seek assistance if your child:

  • has limited or no babbling by 9 months of age.
  • does not point to objects or use gestures such as waving or shaking their head by 12 months of age.
  • has fewer than 50 words between 18 months and 2 years of age.
  • does not show interest in social interactions by 2 years of age.
  • is not following 2 part commands between 2 years and 3 years of age.
  • is not using 2-3 word sentences between 2 and 3 years of age.
  • is not understood by strangers at 3 years of age.
  • is not able to tell a simple story by 4 to 5 years of age.
  • is having difficulties with phonological awareness, early literacy acquisition, reading or spelling during the school-age years.
  • is having difficulties with comprehension or putting their thoughts into words by school-age.
  • has a history of recurrent middle ear infections and/or hearing loss.
  • has a hoarse or croaky voice in the absence of a cold/illness.
  • is stuttering or having difficulties speaking fluently.
  • is a picky eater (only eating 4-5 foods).

Parents should trust their instincts. If you are feeling uncertain please seek assistance from a speech pathologist. A wait and see approach is not advised. It is never too early!

Do you also work with adults?

Yes…However, we are unable to accept referrals for individuals with swallowing difficulties.

We can offer the Lee Silverman Voice Treatment (LSVT) Program to individuals with Parkinson’s Disease who have difficulties communicating. Please give us a call if you or your loved one is interested in participating in this program so we can discuss if it is right for you.

Do I need a referral from the doctor before seeing the speech pathologist?

No. A self referral is usually adequate. However, to access a Medicare rebate, a referral from a GP or relevant medical specialist will be necessary. A GP referral will also be necessary to access speech pathology services under the Department of Veterans Affairs and Workcover programs.

How long will my child need speech pathology support?

This is a difficult question to answer without having met your child and conducted an assessment. After an initial assessment we will be able to discuss this with you in more detail. Factors such as the type of communication difficulty, severity, age of the child, child’s motivation, and follow-up at home all contribute to how long support will be needed.

How long is each session?

An assessment session usually takes about 60 to 90 minutes. Occasionally, additional sessions will be needed to complete the assessment. These additional sessions are charged at therapy rates. Therapy sessions are usually 45 minutes. Other options are available.

Will I be involved in my child’s therapy program?

Yes. As a parent you play a vital role in developing your child’s communication skills. We need to enlist your help during and after each session to maximise your child’s gains. After each therapy session you will be given some follow up activities. We ask you to spend 10-15 minutes each day sharing these activities with your child. This should be a special time that your child really enjoys. You can be as creative as you wish! You may also be given strategies that you can incorporate into your everyday life to make your home a communication rich environment.

Can you collaborate with other professionals?

Yes. We can work collaboratively with educators, other allied health professionals, and medical teams. Please let us know how we can be of assistance to help achieve the best outcomes for your child.

How do we pay?

Payment is collected on the day of your appointment via cash, EFTPOS or bank transfer. A receipt will be emailed once payment has been received. You will be able to use this receipt to claim from your private health insurance or Medicare.

Can I claim on Medicare for speech pathology?

Yes. Individuals who meet the eligibility for specific Medicare Allied Health Initiatives can claim a rebate from Medicare. Clients should be aware that the rebate does not cover the cost of a session and so there will be out of pocket expenses.

Medicare’s Chronic Disease Management items (previously known as the Enhanced Primary Care plan) allows eligible individuals to gain access to Medicare rebates, for complex and chronic conditions, for up to 5 allied health visits per calendar year. These 5 visits may be spread across different allied health professionals. The Medicare rebate is $52.95. Clients will need referral paperwork from their GP.

Can I claim speech pathology services on my Private Health Insurance?

Yes, if your level of cover includes speech pathology. Please contact your private health fund to see if you are covered.

I have a Department of Veteran Affairs Gold Card, do I need to pay for services?

No. The Department of Veteran Affairs covers the cost of your sessions. You will need a GP or Specialist referral.

Are you a member of Speech Pathology Australia?


Are you a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist?


Do you have a Working With Children – Blue Card?